The History Department has organised a commemoration day for 14th March 2016.
Details of events are as follows:
• The Lord Mayor of Dublin, Criona NI Dhalaigh has confirmed that she will attend the official proceedings on the 14th March 2016 from 11.00 to 12.00. The ceremony will begin with the raising of the Flag involving the entire community of pupils, staff and the Dominican sisters and special guests.
• Saoirse Plunkett will give a brief account of Joseph Mary Plunkett’s role in the 1916 Rising.(He is the Grand-nephew of Joseph Plunkett.)
• An exhibition of the History of the School.
• A performance of music and reflections from the time.
• A presentation by Transition Year students of a study of ‘Women and the Rising-the Muckross connection’. Their written record will have a permanent home in the school archives.
• A reading of the Proclamation by Niamh Plunkett who is a past pupil and a direct descendant of Joseph Mary Plunkett.
• The unveiling of a framed portrait of Joseph Mary Plunkett and the Proclamation.
• A display of a mural by the Art Department representing the city of Dublin in 1916 and the key personalities who played a leading role in the Rising.
• A Garden of Remembrance to be planted by the students of the TY Horticultural module.
• A collection of ‘Muckross Memories’ from parents and the school community to be gathered, recorded and stored in the school Archives.
Click 1916 Commemoration Leaflet (to peruse the leaflet of the days events).
Click play below to hear renditions of music from the day
THE FOGGY DEW
Photographs of the day: